Machine Learning Engineering Manager
Become the bridge to people’s financial freedom through technology
By 2030, be the most inclusive digital bank in LATAM with more than 2.5 million clients.
To be part of this fast–growing fintech and join the team responsible for implementing the data strategy for the company, and delivering tangible results to support and implement Baubap’s mission. As the Machine Learning Manager at Baubap, you will lead the ML team and balance internal priorities, external requests, and unscheduled work.
As an Engineering Manager in Machine Learning, you will instill best practices, execute on deep learning efforts, and mentor teammates. You will lead our team in improving models and content moderation.
- Career development for Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers by providing with the guidance, knowledge and tools to allow them to succeed at their job.
- Take charge of the hiring and recruitment process as making key staffing decisions with regards to promotions, salary rises and firings.
- Actively organize recurring remote and in person events that allow discipline members to learn from one another, permeate best practices, tools and techniques to make each individual more efficient at their job.
- Being the focal guiding force by providing the necessary technical and business knowledge to empower discipline members to overcome obstacles and technical blockers as fast as possible
- Reviewing and supervising the quality of Discipline Members’ deliverables and giving actionable feedback when needed.
Day to Day
- Lead and Mentor: Regularly meet with team members for one-on-ones, providing feedback, guidance, and support to ensure they stay aligned with the company's mission and vision.
- Collaborate: Work closely with different ML Engineers and Data Scientists to understand their challenges and help provide data solutions. This includes carrying out hands on and peer programing sessions.
- Quality Assurance: Regularly review and audit the modeling processes and methodologies employed by the team, ensuring accuracy, clarity and consistency in deliverables.
- Continuous Learning: Promote a culture of continuous learning and development within the team. This includes organizing training sessions, workshops, and encouraging team members to attend relevant conferences and webinars.
- Feedback Loop: Establish mechanisms to gather feedback from business units and other stakeholders, ensuring that the data analytics team remains agile and responsive to changing business needs.
- 8+ years of software experience working
- Leadership experience.
- Experience building and deploying ML models in production
- Experience with cloud technologies in AWS or GCP as well as container systems such as Docker or Kubernetes
- Passion for building platforms and infrastructure excellence
- Excellent communication and people engagement skills
- Proficiency in Python
- Proficiency in MySQL
- Strong Experience with the complete Machine Learning Pipeline (Feature engineering, ML model training, evaluation and monitoring)
Nice to have
- Experience in Fintech industry
- Experience in startup
Your skills (adjust based on what you need)
- Clear and transparent communication. You are able to able to express your thoughts clearly, concisely and to the point. You can openly discuss any blockers you have, and constructively point out areas for improvement.
- Relentlessly resourceful at execution and problem solving. You make things happen, no matter what. You are disciplined, organized and systematically follow through on your work. Instead of getting stuck thinking "well, this doesn't work", you look for creative / innovative / outside-of-the-box solutions to fix the issue and move on.
- Sense of urgency. You operate with a constant sense of urgency (as if there was a large, hungry wolf chasing you), constantly looking for ways to move ahead and push everything around you to get to your desired outcome in the most efficient and productive way. You don’t wait around and make things happen.
- Flexibility / adaptability / resilience. You ****can maintain your composure and focus despite the constantly changing environment, and adequately adapt to new conditions. You can swiftly change the course of action when needed, and you don't get easily demotivated.
- Being self-driven /committed. You require very little guidance and intervention from your leader to move ahead. You can correctly read what the situation requires, and take the necessary action accordingly. If your leader were to disappear, you can still move ahead and make relevant things happen. You act because you want to, and not because someone else is telling you that you should.
- Strategic thinking / seeing the bigger picture. You can see further than just your immediate "doorstep". You can correctly assess the deeper implications of certain decisions that might materialise in the future, and take decisions accordingly. You often use data or previous research to inform your recommendations and decisions.
- Critical / analytical thinking. You can correctly analyse the root causes of a problem, without getting side-tracked by irrelevant, minor details. You can come to the right conclusion and propose a clear, logical plan of action. You don't stay on the surface of things.
- Helping others succeed / strong stakeholder focus. While tackling the responsibilities on your plate, you are constantly thinking "How will this impact the other party? Am I doing the absolute best I can to offer excellent support / service? What more could I do to help the other side achieve their goal or grow? Am I Optimizing for myself, or for the common good?"
- Being part of a multinational, highly driven team of professionals.
- Flexible and remote working environment.
- High level of ownership and independence.
- 20 vacation days / year + 75% holiday bonus.
- 1 month (proportional) of Christmas bonus.
- "Vales de despensa" 3,112 MXN / month.
- Health & Life insurance.
- Home office set-up budget.
- Unlimited budget for Kindle books.
- Baubap Free Loan.
- Competitive salary.